The Blog

AGENDA & MINUTES November 13, 2012

i Mar 15th No Comments by


McKnight Neighborhood Council, Inc.

Board of Directors Meeting
Tuesday, November 13, 2012; 6-8 pm
Rebecca Johnson School, Music Room
55 Catharine St., Springfield MA
AGENDA
6:00 – 6:15 pm:  OPEN MEETING, WELCOME
o   Introduction, Board of Directors
o   Audience Introductions
6:15—6:45pm:  GUEST
o    Deputy Police Chief William Cochran joining us to strategize about solving the problems of enforcing traffic regulations and drag racing on neighborhood streets.
6:45—7:00pm:  OFFICERS’ REPORTS  
o    PRESIDENT’S REPORT: (Walter J. Kroll)
o    VICE-PRESIDENT’S REPORT: (Demetrios Panteleakis)
o    SECRETARY’S REPORT: (Jesse Lederman)
·         Minutes of October 09, 2012, meeting (see attachment)
o    TREASURER’S REPORT:  (Elizabeth Stevens)
·         Monthly financial report
7:00—7:15 pm:  New Business—Open to the Floor
7:15—7:30 pm:  New Business—Board
·         Newsletter
·         Holiday Pot Luck and Community Service Awards
7:30—7:50 pm: COMMITTEE REPORTS – Any committee updates (5 minutes each)
o    Standing Committees
·         Rail Trail (Liz Stevens) 
·         Public Safety (Walter Kroll) 
·         Housing & Code (Demetrios Panteleakis)
·         Good Neighbor (Ceil Lewonchuk)
·         Communications (Corey Singleton. Ben Swan Jr)
o    Ad Hoc Committees
·         Food Access (Synthia Scott-Mitchell)
7:50–8:00 pm:  Wrap Up—Final Business, Open to Floor    
                    
8:00 pm—Close Meeting

Approved December 11, 2012

Minutes McKnight Neighborhood Council
Board Meeting:  November 13, 2012
Meeting Called to order 6:10 p.m.:   (WK verified quorum present)
Board Members Present (7):  Walter Kroll (Pres),  Jesse Lederman (Secy/Clerk), Elizabeth Stevens, (Treas), Brandi Gamble-Lucas  (Asst Secy),  Lloyd Creswell,Donna Jordan, Ed Kelly, Ceil Lewonchuk,  Synthia Scott-Mitchell, Stephen Thibeau, {Elizabeth Lederman, Adm. Staff}.
Board Members Not Present (6):  Demetrios Panteleakis  (Vice Pres), Corey Singleton (Asst Treasurer),  Ben Swan, Jr,
Neighborhood Members:  Bokul Bhuiya, Warren Clark
Guests:  Deputy Police Chief William Cochran,  Officers Neil Maloney, Rupert Daniels, Lawrence Akers
Welcome by Walter K; board member introductions; audience introductions. 
GUESTS
Guests Deputy Police Commissioner William Cochran, and SPD traffic Officers Neil Maloney, Rupert Daniels, Lawrence Akers meeting with the neighborhood to discuss and strategize about solving the problems of enforcing traffic regulations and drag racing on neighborhood streets. 
·         Deputy Cochran reported that a traffic speed trailer had been deployed on St James Avenue during the previous week to monitor the trend of vehicle speeds.  The general speeds recorded were reasonable—between 11/01 and 11/11, 20,000 cars were logged going northbound with an average speed of 32-32 mph.
·         Limited personnel available to handle traffic problems, but if residents can report time frames and areas where drag racing is taking place the traffic division is able to deploy officers to monitor these areas.  Information on vehicles observed, or a known address where these vehicles are parked will help solve ongoing problems.
·         Specific and ongoing problem with drag racing on Worthington Street on Friday and Saturday nights.  Traffic division will monitor.
·         Specific and ongoing problem with illegal on-street parking at store block near Brown and Bay Streets, causing dangerous congestion and obstructing traffic flow.  Parking authority will monitor.
·         Residents to follow up and continue to report issues.
OFFICER REPORTS
o   SECRETARY’S REPORT: (Jesse Lederman)
Jesse L submitted the minutes of the Board Meeting Octorber 09, 2012, for acceptance. Call for corrections or additions.
MOTION: (EK moved) to accept as presented; (DJ seconded); (WK called 😉 Unanimous vote. 
o   TREASURER’S REPORT: (Elizabeth Stevens)
Bokul  B who has undertaken the bookkeeping distributed copy of the CDBG budget monies.  Will include entire budget with discretionary funds included in next months budget report. MOTION: (LC moved) to accept as presented; (WK seconded); (WK called 😉 Unanimous vote to accept. 
NEW BUSINESS—Open to the Floor
o   Jesse L reporting that MNC has been asked to co-sponsor  a public forum with Partners for a Healthier Community and Arise for Social Justice at the Mason Square Library on December 6.  The purpose of the forum is to report the results of last year’s work to identify Brownfields in the McKnight/Bay neighborhoods. 
MOTION: (JL moved) that MNC co-sponsor forum; (EK seconded); (WK called 😉 Unanimous vote. 
o   Ed K raised the possibility of establishing a dog park on one of the City owned vacant lots in McKnight—reporting that he has visited several dog parks in surrounding towns.  Will be meeting with the director of the board for the East Longmeadow dog park to get more information about their town’s involvement, the rules, liability, etc.  Agreement to move forward and make inquiries with the Parks department once we have more information.
NEW BUSINESS—Board
o   Newsletter preparation—articles should be submitted by 11/30—
·         Liz S contributing article on the renovation of the shops at Catharine and Bay
·         Walter K, public safety article discussing the events at 287 St James and how they were resolved through effectively community/police networking
·         Elizabeth L, article on the Community Service Award recipients Jesse Lederman and Ariel Perez
·         Demetrios P to do article on Preservation Trust, and a housing and code update
·         Brandi G, article on home sales in McKnight
·         Ed K, article on dog parks
o   Holiday Pot Luck and Community Service Awards scheduled for next monthly meeting 12/11—
·         Discussion of award recipients, so far Springfield Preservation Trust, Jesse L, and Ariel P
·         Decision made to add Arise for Social Justice in light of their 25thanniversary, and especially their work on ward representation and biomass opposition
COMMITTEE REPORTS
STANDING COMMITTEES
o   Rail Trail (Elizabeth Stevens, Chair)
·         Liz S reporting meeting with Walter K and Parks Director Pat Sullivan on Monday 10/15.  A landscape planner from the City also attended.  City is matching $1800 grant from Partners for a Healthier Community to develop a master plan for the trail. This will provide a visual plan to begin developing support as the project moves forward.
·         Next meeting on Monday, 12/03, Pioneer Valley Planning will also be in attendance.
·         Liz S meeting with Congressman Neal on November 19 to update him on plans.
o   Public Safety (Walter Kroll, Chair)
·         Walter K reporting Sector F Police Beat meeting, reporting that generally crime statistics are down in McKnight, lower than the City averages. 
o   Housing & Code (Demetrios Panteleakis, Chair), absent, Walter K reporting:
·         Next meeting Thursday, 11/15, at 6pm at Demetrios P’s house.
o   Food Access Committee (Synthia Scott-Mitchell, Chair)
·         Synthia S giving history of Farmer’s Market, now in its seventh year. 
·         Second major project is the Food Justice Initiative, working to establish a full service grocery store in Mason Square area.  Extensive groundwork established with community forums, including feedback to the big box stores to encourage them to locate here.  Focus on employment for local residents as well.
·         Reported on Food Policy Committee which works on issues of nutrition, including school lunches, community gardening projects, and a “corner store” education project for small stores addressing what they market and how they display it to customers.
FINAL BUSINESS/WRAP UP—Open to Floor
8:00 ADJOURNMENT:    MOTION:   (JL moved) to adjourn; (DJ seconded); (EK called); motion carried.
Submitted by Elizabeth Lederman, Administrative Staff, 12/11/12

Comments

Leave a reply