The Blog

AGENDA & MINUTES November 08, 2011

i May 6th No Comments by

McKnight Neighborhood Council, Inc.
Board of Directors Meeting
Tuesday, November 08, 2011:  6-8 pm
Rebecca Johnson School, Music Room
55 Catharine St., Springfield MA
AGENDA
6:00 – 6:15 pm:  OPEN MEETING, WELCOME
o   Introduction, Board of Directors
o   Audience Introductions
6:15—7:00 pm:  GUEST
o   Consultant Ron Mallis, is an architect who is currently working in the Rebuild Springfield post tornado effort.  Ron is discussing how the McKnight neighborhood fits into the overall picture of the city’s plans, and the integration of the McKnight revitalization plan within the scope of the city wide planning decisions. 
o   Discussion & Planning—updating the McKnight revitalization plan
7:00—7:15 pm:  OFFICERS’ REPORTS  
o    PRESIDENT’S REPORT: (Walter J. Kroll)
o    VICE-PRESIDENT’S REPORT: (Demetrios Panteleakis)
o    SECRETARY’S REPORT: (Ben Swan, Jr & Elizabeth Lederman, admin staff)
·         Minutes of October 11, 2011 meeting (see attachment)
o    TREASURER’S REPORT:  (Liz Stevens)
·         Monthly financial report
7:15—7:30 pm:  New Business
o    Holiday Pot Luck meeting for December—planning, theme, and format
o    Annual Community Service Awards–nominations
o    Open to the Floor
7:30—7:50 pm: COMMITTEE REPORTS – Any committee updates (5 minutes each)
o    Standing Committees
·         Rail Trail (Liz Stevens) 
·         Public Safety (Walter Kroll)                                                       
·         Housing & Code (Demetrios Panteleakis)
·         Communications (Marianne Winters)
·         Good Neighbor (Ceil Lewonchuk)
o    Ad Hoc Committees
·         Community Center (Demetrios Panteleakis)
·         Debate (Jesse Lederman)
7:50–8:00 pm:  Wrap Up—Final Business, Open to Floor                                       
8:00 pm—Close Meeting
Next McKnight Neighborhood Council Meeting 
Tuesday, December 13, 2011               6:00-8:00 pm             Rebecca Johnson School
Approved December 13, 2011
Minutes McKnight Neighborhood Council
Board Meeting:  November 08, 2011
Meeting Called to order 6:20 p.m.:   (WK verified quorum present)
Board Members Present (7):  Walter Kroll (Pres), Demetrios Panteleakis (Vice Pres), Ben Swan, Jr, (Secy/Clerk), Liz Steven, (Treas), Ceil Lewonchuk  (Asst Secy), Ed Kelly,  Stephen Thibeau, {Elizabeth Lederman, Adm. Staff}.
Board Members Not Present (6) Frank Buntin, Katie Foster, Gregory Hession, Arthur Jones, Donna Jordan,  Jesse Lederman
Neighborhood Members Attending:   Stephen Gray, Corey Singleton,  Abdullah Abdul-Rahim, Marguerite Johnson (?), Victoria Letrec (?)
Guests:   Ron Mallis
Welcome by WK; board member introductions; audience introductions.
GUEST PRESENTATION
·         Ron Mallis, a planning consultant assisting in the Rebuild Springfield post tornado recovery effort, presented an overview of what has transpired thus far.  Among the areas discussed; 
·         Community engagement on the local level as the key to successful outcomes and that has been difficult to cultivate;
·         A need to have city entities such as police, code enforcement,  DPW, and Traffic all at the table in the planning stages;
·         Why plans that are on paper often fail, and how to get them up and running;
·         The need to tap into the intellectual and creative capital of individuals in the community and support the incubation of local ideas, inventions, and  initiatives;
·         Mallis offered comments on the McKnight Revitalization Plan developed in 2008, finding it thorough and well-articulated plan which he intended to share in his continuing work with Rebuild Springfield as a resource document for other neighborhoods;
OFFICER’S REPORTS
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: (Walter Kroll)
o   WK noting that the McKnight Revitalization Plan distributed to board members need to be updated;  and asked each committee chairman to work on the section which relates to their committee work.  BS agreed to take on the responsibility of the business section which did not have a corresponding committee.
VICE-PRESIDENT’S REPORT: (Demetrios Panteleakis)
o   DP—no activity to report. 
SECRETARY’S REPORT: (Ben Swan; Elizabeth Lederman, staff)
o   Minutes of Board Meeting, November 08, 2011, submitted for acceptance. BS called for corrections or additions.
MOTION: (DP moved) to accept as presented; (LS seconded); (WK called the question); Unanimous vote to accept. 
TREASURER’S REPORT: (Liz Stevens)
o   LS provided budget report. WK noted that CDBG budget amount needed to be corrected to $12, 500.
MOTION: (BS moved) to accept with correction; (DP seconded); (WK called the question); Unanimous vote to accept. 
NEW BUSINESS
o   Holiday Pot Luck meeting for December—planning, theme, and format—theme around revitalization plan
o   Annual Community Service Awards—nominations—suggestions included Jim Boone, Jesse Lederman, Ron Harrell, Stephen White
NEW BUSINESS—OPEN TO THE FLOOR
o   CS reporting a variety of problems at the housing complex at 15 Girard Street including safety, sanitation, and code concerns.  Management not responding to tenants’ efforts to address these problems.  Requesting help from MNC.  DP to take up concerns with Housing & Code committee and will work with CS to respond to the situation and get the City involved.
COMMITTEE REPORTS
STANDING COMMITTEES
o   Rail Trail (Liz Stevens)
·         LS reporting WMECO has rejected MNC grant request—will seek some clarification on rejection since they previously indicated a positive outcome to the request.
·         LS will be attending a regional Rail Trail conference on November 12.   
o   Public Safety (Walter Kroll)
·         WK reminding all that Watch and Sector F Police Beat meeting now meeting at the same time and place—third Thursday of the month at the Mason Square Library at 530 pm. 
o   Housing & Code (Demetrios Panteleakis)
·         DP reporting  the sale of 52 Westminster Street, recently restored with supporting funds from the City.
·         Housing & Code committee meeting scheduled for November 17 @ 530pm at 1104 Worthington Street. 
o   Communications  (Marianne Winters)
·         No activity.
o   Good Neighbor (Ceil Lewonchuk)
·         No activity.
AD HOC COMMITTEES
o   Community Center (Demetrios Panteleakis)
·         No activity.
o   Debate (Jesse Lederman)
·         JL absent.  No report.    
8:00 ADJOURNMENT:    MOTION:   (BS moved) to adjourn; (EK seconded); (WK called); motion carried.
Submitted by Elizabeth Lederman, Administrative Staff, 12/13/2011

Comments

Leave a reply